A very practical sample for getting ready with latest Apache Syncope on Centos
Apache Syncope features a very nice GUI installer you can empower to get it up and running in minutes; here's a quick summary of the steps needed on Centos 6; the reference documentation is from official project wiki.
All steps were performed as root.
yum install java-1.7.0-openjdk-devel.x86_64
After installing MySQL 5.5
rpm -Uvh https://mirror.webtatic.com/yum/el6/latest.rpm yum install mysql55w mysql55w-server
I have created a database 'syncope' and granted full access to user 'syncope' with password 'syncope'; then verified that I was able to connect with such credentials on localhost, port 3306.
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <tomcat-users> <role rolename="manager-gui"/> <role rolename="manager-script"/> <role rolename="manager-jmx"/> <role rolename="manager-status"/> <user username="manager" password="s3cret" roles="manager-script"/> </tomcat-users>
At this point I launched Tomcat via
and started watching Tomcat's log file
tail -f /opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.62/logs/catalina.out
Downloaded the latest version available (3.3.3 currently) and uncompressed under /opt, then defined the related alias
Downloaded the latest version available (1.2.4 currently) and launched via
java -jar syncope-installer-1.2.4-uber.jar
At this point I've followed the instructions on screen: I only changed the installation path to /opt/syncope and rebased conf, log and bundles directory to /opt/syncope; for the rest I've left all default values.
I also started watching the installation log, in order to see in details what was happening:
tail -f /opt/syncope/install.log
It took some time to the installer to download the whole Internet (you know, the usual jokes about Maven...), but after a little while I could see it installing all required components, then deploying everything to Tomcat (with messages "Core successfully deployed" and "Console successfully deployed").
Voilà, everything was up and running as expected, and I could point my browser to (yes, 'sandalo' is my test machine's hostname):
and successfully authenticate with default admin credentials.